Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Avoiding the Dreaded Ys

Here's a little string star I made on Monday:


Can I say again how I love the shirts? The block just has a softer look to it than it would with typical fabric. loving it. Anyway, I played with triangles to piece this puppy so that I could avoid the dreaded Y-seams. I made the triangles oversized so that the star floats in what will probably be an 11" finished block. The final verdict: easier to piece but definitely more time consuming. I do like how the plaids look mismatched. I suspect I'll get better at it with practice.

Speaking of Y-seams, check out the quilt on the front of American Jane's Quilts for All Seasons



I think it's a beauty but eek, Y-seams. I'd have to come up with a different way of making it. I love Sandy Klop's use of color and fabric. This (mosaic tile???) quilt is my favorite in the book:


It looks like an antique but a bright and happy one that never faded. I haven't tried making any of the patterns or following the directions, but I love her technique for putting this one together. I'd never have thought of it - I'd have been sewing these things together in looong rows.

And for the Scottie lovers out there, I think this is my favorite quilted version of the dog ever:


See, I don't just blog about cats! Okay, I actually do. Speaking of kitties...

I told you about my allergy ordeal last post. Well, d'oh, I'm an idiot (you'll have to imagine the accompanying slap on the forehead).  I hadn't considered when was the last time I changed the filters in my air purifier. So I ordered new ones and Pokey found the box I'd casually tossed aside:


I love how she managed to get in the box at that angle - and have it stay that way. You'll notice shirt bits waiting for further dismantling in the foreground and Halloween quilts in the background (woohoo!).

Of course Lily had to come over - she's sitting on my cutting table that isn't long for this world (the cats managed to break the screws so the foldy table bit on the other side came off.)


This is just inevitable:

25 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love your star.....such cute kitties. :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great kitty photos! Poor Pokey . . .

Teresa Rawson said...

Awwww! Poor Pokey...giving up her premium spot...

I'm loving the shirt projects. I have to tell you that the thrift store shirts in FL are much nicer than the ones in SE lower MI. Must be all those retirees with their color-coordinated nice shirts, Sansibelt slacks (sp?), white belts, and white comfy shoes.

Hope the filters help. We use really good filters, and my husband just "upped the ante" by adding a 'cut-it-yourself' piece of filter material under the register covers in our two dustiest rooms. We'll see if THAT helps.

In stitches (sniffle, sniffle),
Teresa :o)

Mary said...

I like your block. Anything and anyway to avoid the Y-seam. I am with you.

floribunda said...

Sandy definitely loves those y-seams! She's local, and I talked to her at a guild show last year & bought a pattern that turned out to have about 18 y-seams in each block! I made one block... and gave the pattern away.

Dena said...

I don't like Y-seams either. Very time consuming and frustrating. Takes the enjoyment out of piecing quilts, at least for me it does.

Animals are just like siblings. One is always sure the other is getting or has something better than them. We have two dogs and two goats who battle it among themselves all the time. LOL

Neguko said...

hi Tonya, how are you? I´m so stressed these days. We are making the first expo in my city, Pamplona ( San Fermines, Hemingway, you remenber?) and we have so much work with the start of course of patchwork, and the shop... but we are happy! Our expo and city is little but we hope people don´t know patchwork will surprised with the quilts. Your cats are so lovely and pretty! I have a dog, Zoe, and three children. They started the school now too. Your starts are so originally too! Bye!

Clare said...

You may be going all traditional but the blocks still say "Tonya".

Hope changing the filters has helped a bit.

The pictures of Pokey are priceless! If Magic was still around she'd have done the same with the box.

beth said...

That star is sensational!! Gotta go try one of those right now!

Sylvia said...

Your cats are so cute!

Tamera said...

Tonya,

I've never done y seams, but if you did enough of them, wouldn't it get to the point where you'd get good at them?

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

of course I love that star!! (Y seams and all!) ;-) GASP! is that a dog in your post! what will the kitties say!

Marit said...

You have the best company! The star block is a true star - love it! And thank you for sharing about the book. I love that cover quilt, and have for ages. I guess it needs to go on my wishlist!
Glad to hear of your allergy relief!

; )

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I love your block! I haven't attempted Y-seams but they don't look like fun. Your kitties are very cute :)

Nifty Quilts said...

So glad you're feeling better, and that the solution was an easy one! I love your string star. I made a few of these, well cut them out anyway, but got scared off by the Y-seams. Then I made the spools quilt, and got used the Y's by about the 100th one. The trick is to use very tiny stitches when you get to the crook in the Y. You probably already knew that, but try it those first 100 times and you won't mind making them.

Kath said...

Oh those cats are adorable.

Vic H. said...

I selected you for a Sunshine Award...check out my blog...

Lee D said...

yep Y seams are a bit too scary for me too. Love the star and the plaids. great combo. My Lily says 'bark'to your Lily...

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Glad the allergies are improving. And I must tell my son-in-law not to send any of his old shirts to the rummage ever again!

Quilts And Pieces said...

There's my girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful string star! Take a look at Stars by Magic, by Nancy Johnson Srebro. Her Lemoyne star technique has no Y seams, and the background areas are split just like yours. In addition, she builds the stars out of nothing but rectangles.

As an asthmatic and allergic quilter, I want to confirm that prewashing everything is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

Cats are so funny. My cat Ernie will sleep on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" paper and any box, bag or loose article is fair game for a nap.

Gail :)

Em said...

The stars pop and wow! no idea they are shirts when cut up and in the pattern. Looks very time consuming and paying off! The kitties are lucky to be your companions!

Ann Champion said...

I love what you're doing with the recycled shirts. I have a stash of them waiting to be used. IMO your string star is extra special with the additional piecing in the block. The mismatched plaids give it a fun look. :)

Lynda said...

Glad you solved your allergy problem, and also glad I'm not the only one avaiding 'Y' seams!