Sunday, March 01, 2009

Green Spaces

While out walking yesterday I discovered a publicly accessible green space. It's a combination of pine flats and swampy bits.




I didn't see a single person while I was there and that was heaven. But what disturbed me was the lack of wildlife. I didn't see any birds, no fish in the water, none of the gopher tortoises that are supposed to inhabit the area. While I think it's wonderful that this area has been set up as a haven, seems like making the greenway long and narrow, divided by highways and allowing people in rather ruin it for that purpose.

The mail brought me more presents yesterday. Heidi doesn't have a blog, but she's participated in several of my online classes. Check out the wonderful house quilt she's working on right now. I love the way she made the dots of the i smaller than the rest of the letter.

Joyce sent me the letters, word and her name there on the bottom row. That "purple" looks like it fell out of Cheri's Stroop Quilt - it will be really fun for me to use. I like that chunk out of the top of the M - gives it quite the rakish air.

11 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm glad you got my letters. I'll be curious to see what you do with them and all the others you've gotten.

Clare said...

May I ask what Pokey is sitting on? Looks like a Hope challenge quilt.

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oohhh green things and blue sky! I miss FL! It is so NASTY here you wouldn't believe it..*sigh* Can't it PLEASE be spring already??

Miss you!
Bonnie

Millie said...

Beautiful green pictures. Love the house quilt and words, the cat is so cute too. I am so inspired by your word blocks and like to try them one of these days.

Cher said...

I would share your concern about the lack of "wild life", but to walk alone-nice.
love these fun packages!

Bebesboutique said...

Oh thank you for the glimps of green palms and blue skys. It looks so warm. Too bad no wild life. hmmm.
I love the house quilt. She did a wonderful job with different sizes and the colors are wonderful.

Magpie Sue said...

How long has that green space been there I wonder? If it's new it could be the wildlife just haven't discovered it yet. One can hope, but it is sad that there wasn't any during your walk. Thanks for sharing your palms and high blue skies :- )

Beena said...

Hmmm. I wish I had finshed the house quilt I started years ago. I still have the blocks (houses) somewhere with some other UFO's. I got too preoccupied with other projects I guess. I really like Hiedi's!

jovaliquilts said...

Ahhhh...green! I love it! But that is very weird about the lack of animals.

Unknown said...

The pictures of green are really appreciated. We are in the midst of a Nor' easter. When all is said and done they are saying we will have about 15 inches. I could use some green now. The block you received are great and the house quilt Heidi is working on is fantastic.

Katie said...

Ah for some green. It's white and icy here today...with daffodils peeking out. Very wierd.