Friday, September 14, 2007

Rats

I've been really busy the last few days, we've had marvelous sunshine and life is great. Unfortunately I've gotten behind on the computer and blogs. I just wanted to pop-in and show you a hint of Blooming Horrors. This is the first quilt where I've combined quilting with regular thread, quilting with perle cotton, stem stich and embroidery. I love how it looks and now I'll just have to be careful not to overdo it. I love how the rat turned out with his nasty red eye and little claws. I have no idea what a rat's legs are supposed to look like, but these will do:

I bought myself one of these enameled signs. I think they are a hoot and meet my primary requirement for items bought in France: french words. I suspect a few more of these will be coming home with me.

Halloween link for the day: Janell Berryman of Pumpkinseeds Originals, marvelous papier mache folk art.

I'll write a longer post soon. See you.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That rat is a beady little creature :-) And I don't think it could be possible to "overdo" something like Blooming Horrors -- a flowerpot with skeleton flowers and evil eyes is already over the top!

Tracey in CT said...

What is blogland coming to? First Tanya's pet beetles, then your spiders, now RATS? Whats next, cockroaches? LOL. I'm getting grossed out.
Seriously, the rat is very cute, for a rat. He'll be perfect on Blooming Horrors.

Whats the deal with the signs? They remind me a bit of the metal license plates with names on them that my kids want to get everytime we go somewhere touristy.

Joyce said...

The rat is truly evil looking. I wouldn't want to meet him/her in a dark alley. I like the chat gentil and chat mechant signs.

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Thanks for the "link of the day" : ) I am thrilled to be on your blog. Halloween IS in the air and of course, its the best time of year. Thank you again and I ADORE your quilts! Fav? The Halloween one. Ya! Janell

Ms. Jan said...

Love the rat!!! The perfect addition!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet rat!

Lily Mulholland said...

He's a very ratty looking rat!

A 'veritable' feast of enamel - which did you buy?

Clare said...

There is a book by Beatrix Potter called The Tale of Samuel Whiskers. Your rat looks exactly like him. When I scrolled down boy did he give me a fright.

Ferocious Guinea Pig, Lunatique Rabbit - they are lovely! I love Le Chef a toujours raison. Well, us woman are always right aren't we lol. Which one did you get - don't tell me - Chat Gourmand!

Kristin Shields said...

Fantastic rat, can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

oh, just fabulous!

Unknown said...

Ok so who's going to own up to having a lunatic rabbit??????

Cher said...

your rat turned out fabulous...just terrific Ton. Looks like this quilt is giving you a lot of enjoyment/fun-that is what it is all about!

YankeeQuilter said...

What a rat!!! So which of the little signs did you buy?

Anonymous said...

I just love all those beady little eyes! I swear some New York City subway rats have those, too.

Unknown said...

I looked at the quilt...at the angle of under a a chat derriere, it looks wonderfully textured already.

adore the thready/beady spider too....

...now glow-in-the-dark thread would make the little ratty look eeevvvillll (insert wicked laugh here)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

absolutely LOVE the rat...unlike most mice, I am quite fond of rats (well some of them) eek!!!