Monday, March 19, 2007

Pelicans

I had an excellent, tho far too brief visit with my friend M this weekend. We did a bit of sightseeing. Walked on practically deserted beaches (okay, it was about to rain) and collected some seashells. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera that day. Suckered her into buying a bunch of fabric to sew baby quilts. Oh, the lure of the fabric.

Here are a couple of scenic pics for you. I adore these pelicans:


We watched "The Holiday" which was merely okay. It won't kill you, wasn't horribly boring, just incredibly predictable and not all that interesting. I wanted so much more from this cast, especially Jack Black, who was way too low-key.

Now life is back to the usual. I finally figured out exactly how to quilt Fruit Punch. I tried echoing the shape of the X into the background, but it just didn't work. Instead I'm going to echo quilt the shape of the unit. So it will look like the Xs have Os in the background. If that makes sense.

I think the Os will have Xs in the center, rather like I did them in Hot Crazy Love. Haven't done one yet.

One quick link before I go. If you haven't seen Joyce's free-pieced chicken flock, head over to J's Quilting Blog. They are fabulous.

11 comments:

Joyce said...

That is an inspired quilting plan and probably a bit easier than quilting aronud the shapes. THanks for the mention of my flock of chickens. Hopefully I can get back to them soon.

Donna said...

your new quilting plan sounds much easier than the orginal 1/16th of an inch!

Juliann in WA said...

love the quilting idea - and I am so glad to see hand quilting being done - I just love to hand quilt and I fear it is getting lost

Candy Schultz said...

Ooh I like pelicans. I like that lighthouse also. That is a really well designed photograph.

I like to do quilting designs that seem to take no notice of the underlying quilt design altogether. Then it sort of looks like the quilting is floating over the quilt.

I did like Sunshine by the way. I do think all the stuff going on in her mind was a bit much but I am hoping she is going to write more and is just setting up background info. It is certainly not a great book, give me Death of the Necromancer any day, but it was just the break I needed from all the nonfiction I read.

Stay well.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Quilting looks great ..and I'm not missing a minute of Joyce's chooks!

YankeeQuilter said...

Great photo! I like the new quilting plan.

Sio

Clare said...

The pelicans remind me of the ones in Nemo. Quilting looks great.

Snafu said...

I finally checked in again... love the pelicans... I have to admit the sun, sea, and your wildlife are a contrast to the 8" of snow, the wild fox, and the as-yet-unknown furry critter I saw in the woods this weekend.
when you get a picture of Pokey WITH the pelicans, be sure to let me know!
As always, I'm totally amazed at your imagination with the quilts... yes, I know I'm the boring one...
LJC*

Teodo said...

Hi, beautiful pelicans and wonderful the colours that you use in your works, are very lively!!!
All your blog is lively. ciao ciao

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE those pictures! Wish I were vegging with you!

Kairle Oaks said...

The quilting on your Xs and Os is so cheerful. Fun, fun quilt!