Wednesday, December 20, 2006

We're in Florida

The cats and I are safely ensconced in Florida and my husband should be in Paris by now. I don't envy him the gray skies there, that's for sure. Florida is glorious and sunshiny warm - very good for my soul.

Getting the cats here was stressful. I had to take Pokey out -- to put her carrier through the x-ray machine -- and carry her and she completely freaked out. She peed on my shirt, a bit of poo as well, and managed to give me a nasty gash across the fleshy bit of my palm. When my husband saw that I was about to lose her, he dashed through the security gate to help. Of course the alarms went off and we ended up having to re-do both the little carry-on cats. I completely had no problem with that - security comes first - but I learned a valuable lesson. It's a three person job to get the cats taken care of and don't rush the job.

I'd like to think I'd have held on to Pokey no matter what, but it terrifies me to think that we could have lost her. My husband later saw a little dog wearing a harness and leash that didn't set off the gate alarm, so I'm going to hunt those down for our next move.

Cats have settled in and are enjoying the bigger condo. No more slinking around, which is good to see. I'm hoping that moving becomes routine for them and not such a big deal.

I overdid it with Christmas. Bought a bigger tree than I intended to (smaller ones that I liked were sold out) so of course I had to buy more ornaments too. After seeing what was available in Target, I widened my colors from just lime green and pink, to include royal blue, teal, turquoise, magenta, purple and silver. It all looks fabulous next to the quilt Shells, which ended up finding a home here in Florida. It's on an angled wall from the tree, which is why this looks a bit screwy.

This pic has the purple beaded garland that I added to the tree yesterday. And there's Howler enjoying the sunshine. He's been a real pest at night trying to get behind the blinds.

My husband would totally hate this tree. He's a traditional red, white and green kind of guy. I love it tho, sparkly shiny and glorious colors. There are ornaments that look like disco balls. My sweet friend Siobhan mailed me some ornaments that work perfectly and I love the silver martini glass and shaker - very retro, but not very photogenic.

I bought the bottom of the line Bernette sewing machine, but haven't used it yet. I so wanted to upgrade to a Bernina, but I had to keep telling myself "second machine, second machine." I've now got everything I need to start doing some sewing, but it's been much easier to just sit in the recliner playing Sudoku and loving on kitties when I haven't been out fighting crowds.

19 comments:

quiltpixie said...

Glad you arrived safe and sound with all the cats. Sounds like it was something of an adventure, so it makes perfect sense to me to just sit and relax playing soduko....

Hope you have a very joyous Christmas

Joyce said...

I'm glad you made it with only minimum adventures. Your tree looks just like your quilts. No wonder you like it. Have a Merry Christmas with your cats.

McIrish Annie said...

Your tree is grand and oh soo Floridian!! Sounds like you are in a good place right now. of course the best place would be Paris with your hubby. I envy you not having to do the Christmas runaround. Soak up the sun and feel better!! Glad the kitties survived the trip.

Hedgehog said...

Your tree looks great - good to have an excuse to do a less traditional one!

Had a terrible time carrying a cat through security last year - glad you all arrived ok.

Dianne said...

Oh, Tonya, I'm so sorry about the stressful and scary check-in with Pokey! Patch or Frank would have been exactly the same, and I know how terrified you must have felt seeing Pokey begin to slip away from you. I think those harness and leash things might work, as long as they fit the cat very snugly. They are such escape artists, aren't they?

So glad you're settled in FL, with your gorgeous tree up and decorated, and the cats all settled down. Wish DH could be there for Christmas, but soon you'll all be together again.

Also glad to hear about the new Bernette. Like you, I haven't been up to starting any sewing yet, but soon, soon, SOON!

Unknown said...

Happy Florida Christmas! You can all settle in and chill for the holidays. Flying with cats is an adventure for sure--glad everything worked out.

Sweet P said...

I love your tree. It reminds me of stained glass. Have a Merry Christmas and I hope the kitties settle down soon for you.

Candy Schultz said...

I love the tree. Those are all my favorite colors and someday I will get a quilt made in them. I am glad you are now in the sunshine. We had a couple days of bright sun here in Michigan and it is so good for all that ails you. Poor kitties and poor you. Hope you can relax for awhile and enjoy them and feel better. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday.

comicbooklady said...

Enjoy your colourful tree and merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The tree looks wonderful - who would have thought turquoise, blue and purple would look great on a tree LOL.

The Lone Beader® said...

I can see that your kitten loves the Christmas tree... LOL!

Hanne said...

Good to hear you have arrived safely. Your Christmas tree and quilt looks like a photo from one of those expensive glossy home decorating magazines - very nice and balanced :-)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great to see you are all there in one piece-and resting! Love the little qyilt next to the tree. lol tracey

Lucy said...

The tree are so as you are !! .
Merrry Christmas Tonya

Clare said...

Rats! Just left a long comment and blasted Blogger has wiped it! Anyway, glad to have caught you before I sign off for 2 weeks. Glorious clear blue skies here today, but cold. Hope it is the same in Paris and not that ghastly smog which seems to have enveloped the UK.

Those colours are so you - very "Maison et Jardin" LOL.

Sorry that you had problems with the cats, but, as you say, they have got to get used to it. Next stop Paris!

x

Katie said...

Oh, the joys of flying with pets. Hint: wrap cat tightly in large towel to carry thu detector. So glad you are enjoying our sunshine. It's those gray skies that drive me out of MI for the winters. Your tree is beautiful even if I prefer your DH type of tree.

Judy said...

I'm even scared by the story...don't even want to think what would have happened. I have seen those harnesses and they can work great so that at least you have something to hang onto if they jump from your arms. I understand security but they might want to think of another way to handle this sort of thing.

Hopefully the cats will relax a bit before your parents come and before leaving for Paris. How long do you think it will take before they let you go?

I was thinking you meant like a 2 ft tree..maybe 3ft... and Wow Wee you did go big! Target has the best tree section and ornaments of anyone! Glad everyone arrived safe and sound.

Finn said...

Hey Ton, good to know you have landed in FL. I've been watching for a new post. Sounds pretty stressful at security, but all's well that ends well. The harness and leash sounds like a winner. Do put it on very, very snug tho, as I found out the hard way that kitty shoulder can be made very narrow in an escape attempt. And a successful attempt at that. Not much fun chasing a scared kitty.

The tree look gorgeous. I'm amazed how much you have found to put on it..*VBS* Good for the soul!
I'm well acquainted with recliner therapy...it's a winner when needed. Sending big hugs, Finn

Mary Johnson said...

It sounds like Chesty did much better on his flight. He was quiet as I held him to go through the scan and then quietly went back in the carrier. We arrived here in Minneapolis yesterday and our apartment is still empty too - our things will come after Christmas but living in the city is going to be great - Keith also is able to walk to work and I can roam all over the city on foot too. I'm sure you're anxious to join your husband I'm very happy to be back in the same city with Keith and we were only apart about a month. Have a nice holiday and good luck with your tests and treatments.