Monday, October 30, 2006

Kitten in Fabric

Sweet Lily has to jump in whenever there is fabric in the offing. That also includes diving in under the sheet when I am trying to make the bed.

I am a fabric washer. Too many chemicals on the fabric that aggravate my allergies for me not to wash. All my new fabric goes into a pile and never makes it into the stash until it's been properly washed and ironed.



I've now washed just about everything except the reds and pinks, but I won't need them for the Halloween Noises project. Now I have no excuse for not starting the quilt, except for this darn headache I just can't seem to shake. It's been aggravating me for days.

My sweetie and I went to the movies together for the first time in ages. A matinee costs $8.50 each? Ack. And then of course we get the giants sitting in front of us and my husband was kicking himself for not wanting to drive an hour to get to the theater with stadium seating. No wonder we get our movies on DVD. Think I'm getting crankier and fussier as I get older.

We saw The Prestige, a movie by Christopher Nolan who also did the fabulous Memento and Batman Begins. The movie was enjoyable in a "figure out the puzzle" way, but almost every character in it is repugnant and hard to care about. I'd still recommend it tho - it was interesting.

I was saying in the last post how I love to handquilt to silly movies. Yesterday we watched The Third Man which I thoroughly enjoy. Such a classy movie and I love the black and white images. Harry Lyme's speech about 500 years of peace producing the cuckoo clock is one of my all-time favorites. BUT... can I quilt to that? Nooo... That's why I gotta have stupid, silly, fun movies - a concept my husband just doesn't understand. He doesn't want a DVD unless it is a 5 star movie.

The maids come today. We're not living in a hotel, but there are some amenities and weekly maid service is my favorite. Anyway, got lots of straightening up to do.

oh, wait, before I go. Linda, thanks for the comment. Would love to read your blog, if you ever feel like opening it up.

14 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I don't remember there being a lot of nice folks in Memento either! Great movies though. DVD's have really spoiled us too.

Good job on the washing! Kitty looks adorable. Hope they are handling the moves OK!
Sio

Saska said...

I can even do handquilting during silent movies! DH hasn't figured out how I can keep up, but seems like a waste of time to me if I'm not doing something.

Kitty pictures are always so cute. Love the fabric.

Candy Schultz said...

Can you send the maids to my house after they do yours. We almost never go to the movies anymore. It has to be something really tempting - like "A Good Year" which is opening soon. It's so much more comfortable at home and you can pretty much buy a movie nowadays for the cost of going to the theater.

Dianne said...

Lily looks adorable, Tonya...thanks for sharing. Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Thank heaven for DVDs...our TV and DVD player aren't hooked up yet, so I'm using my laptop. With DH not Down Under yet, at least I can watch some movies.

The trip to Sydney to buy the Bernina went on hold: I was just too jetlagged. My friend can't go now till early Dec., so I'm going to see about renting a machine till then.

Today is the first trip to visit kitties at the quarantine facility -- hope they're still speaking to me!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Lilly playing with the fabric is tooo cute! Emily and I went to the movies this weekend also - I cried BUCKETS! Maybe I'll post about it tomorrow.

quiltpixie said...

matinee movies don't really lend themselves to hand sewing either -- too dark. When you stay home with a DVD at least its an option!

Tazzie said...

It has to be something pretty special to get me to the movies these days, it's just over $20 for an adult here now, so I understand that you're a DVD kinda girl, so am I!
I love that kitty is interested in playing in your fabric ... I'd love for our kitty to be interested in anything we do :-) She seems to enjoy sleeping much more lately.
Hope you're feeling better soon
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Andrew McAllister said...

My two cats used to curl up on the corner of my desk when I worked at home. It was comforting. I don't know why, maybe just not being alone, but it was nice.

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

comicbooklady said...

I can't quilt with my cat in the room, he is obsessed with eating thread! He even tries to eat it off the top of the sewing machine. He is so weird.

Carol E. said...

Adorable kitty playing with your fabric. I hope your headache goes away quickly.

Quilt Granny said...

Thanks for coming to visit. Love your cat. You should check out my cat's blog sometime. (Yeah, I know cats don't really have blogs, but we cat bloggers love to pretend our cats are humans). PS I also love your quilts.

Clare said...

Hope your headache has gone this morning - try drinking nothing but mineral water. Lily looks lovely - so alert.

Re Halloween Noises, what noise would a Spider make as it slides down its thread I wonder? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (only not with so many E's. Things That Go Bump in the Night and Oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (again with less letters). Oh maid service. Can you send her over here.

Unknown said...

Cute kitty!! I hate to say when my last movie in a theater was. Several years at least. I'm funny about movies--I sort of don't like to commit two hours of my time, especially when I have to concentrate too hard to be able to do handwork. That said, have you seen "Crash"? Wow...

Shellie said...

Those are gorgeous fabrics. Did you get them in MD?

Thanks for reposting Alien Invasion. That quilt makes me smile every time I see it. :)